Ape Takes Photos! – A Cool Orangutan Story
Orangutans are really cool!
Nonja the orangutan can take photos-she has a real camera! She got a camera as a toy, and soon she was taking photos of things around her. Nonja has taken pictures of her ape friends and their food. She even has taken a self-portrait of herself licking the lens, and it’s cute! Every time she takes a picture, out pops a raisin. Yum! “Nonja isn’t interested in her photos,” says Schönbrunn Zoo deputy director, Harald Schwammer.” But she likes raisins a lot.” Nonja also likes legos.
Zoo keepers have posted over 150 photos online-here’s some links:
National Geographic: http://intelligenttravel.nationalgeographic.com/2009/12/07/nonja_the_orangutan_photograph/
Nonja’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nonja/190010092116
Check them out!
Fun Facts about Orangutans:
- Orangutans spend more of their time in trees than any other ape.
- Orangutans have reddish-brown skin.
- Orangutans can live up to more than 30 years.
- Orangutans can’t swim.
- Orangutans build new nests each night, and when it rains, they build canopies over themselves.
- Orangutans use branches to protect their faces when invading a hive.
- Orangutans live in the rainforests of Borneo and Sumatra, in the green areas below: